Functional tests can be useful in assessing many aspects of your health associated with having strong bones and also for monitoring the ongoing progress of bone building therapies.
Pyrilinks-D is a urinary assessment for bone breakdown and resorption. It measures free deoxypyridinoline (DPD) which is associated with the collagen found in bone. It is a specific marker of bone resorption and osteoclastic activity.
- Useful for:
- Early osteoporosis screening
- Tracking status after initial DXA
- Monitoring bone therapies
SpectraCell Micronutrient testing is a blood test that can be used to determine specific vitamin and mineral deficiencies within the cell where it is required for optimal health.
- Measures 35 selected vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other essential nutrients needed for bone health and overall health
- Many people eat well and lead a healthy lifestyle, yet vitamin and mineral deficiencies may still occur. Why?
- Biochemical individuality: Each of us is unique and the nutrient requirements for one person may be different from another
- Absorption: If you do not absorb vitamins and minerals properly, you can have deficiencies.
- Chronic Illness: Health conditions can be affected directly or indirectly by nutrient deficiencies
- Aging: Our nutrient requirements at the age of 40, 50 and beyond are very different than what they were at the age 30
- Lifestyle: excessive physical activity, prescription drugs, smoking, alcohol and sedentary habits all impact on nutrient demands
Digestive Stool Analysis is a series of tests done on a stool sample to help uncover certain conditions affecting the digestive tract. It can effectively identify enzyme insufficiency, inflammation in the GI tract, gut flora imbalances and overgrowth of yeast or pathological bacteria. Any one of these issues can impair digestion and absorption of essential nutrients needed for bone health.
- Clinical indications for GI testing:
- Burping, Gas, Bloating o Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux
- Constipation, Loose Stool/Diarrhea
- Sudden Changes in Bowel Habits
- Excessive Eating or Anorexia
- Food cravings
Adrenal Stress Index is a saliva test that evaluates the cyclically release of stress hormones from the adrenal glands. Excessive production of these stress hormones or elevated levels at the wrong time of the day, can create many dysfunctions in the body.
- Abnormal adrenal rhythms are known to compromise tissue healing by reducing tissue repair and increasing tissue breakdown
- The adrenal rhythm also determines how well we build bone. High cortisol levels in the morning and/or at night, impair the rebuilding of our bones and make us more prone to osteoporosis. Stress is an enemy of our bones. In postmenopausal women, the effect of stress worsens due to female hormone imbalances.