Bejeweled Avocado Salad-Stuffed Peppers
Course: Main Course, Salad
- ½ cup red or white onion chopped medium-fine
- 2 ripe avocados diced into half-inch cubes
- 2 large fresh organic tomatoes chopped, juices strained
- 1 cup cilantro leaves chopped, plus additional leaves to garnish
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- ½ – 1 inch finely chopped jalapeno pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp sea salt plus generous grind of fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin to taste
- 2 cups organic mixed salad greens
- 2 large organic red peppers halved down center, seeds removed (trim bottom to sit level if needed)
Toss onion, avocado, tomatoes and cilantro together in glass or stainless steel bowl.
Whisk garlic, jalapeno, lemon juice and seasonings together. Pour over avocado salad and gently mix. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Fold avocado base in with a handful of mixed salad greens and stuff into bell peppers.
Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Thanks to Jason Bosley-Smith, a graduate nutrition student from Maryland University of Integrative Health for sharing this delicious recipe!