Functional tests can be useful in assessing many aspects of your health associated with having strong bones and also for monitoring the ongoing progress of bone building therapies.
Pyrinks- D is a urinary assessment for bone breakdown and resorption. It measures free deoxypyridinoline (DPD) which is associated with the collagen found bone. It is specific marker of bone resorption and osteoclastic activity.
- Useful for:
- Early osteoporosis screening
- Tracking status after initial DXA
- Monitoring bone therapies
Digestive Stool Analysis is a series of tests done on a stool sample to help uncover certain conditions affecting the digestive tract. It can effectively identify enzyme insufficiency, inflammation in the GI tract, gut flora imbalances and overgrowth of yeast or pathological bacteria. Any one of these issues can impair digestion and absorption of essential nutrients needed for bone health.
- Clinical indications for GI testing:
- Burping, Gas, Bloating o Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux
- Constipation, Loose Stool/Diarrhea
- Sudden Changes in Bowel Habits
- Excessive Eating or Anorexia
- Food cravings
Adrenal Stress Index is a saliva test that evaluates the cyclically release of stress hormones from the adrenal glands. Excessive production of these stress hormones or elevated levels at the wrong time of the day, can create many dysfunctions in the body.
- Abnormal adrenal rhythms are known to compromise tissue healing by reducing tissue repair and increasing tissue breakdown
- The adrenal rhythm also determines how well we build bone. If the night High cortisol levels in the morning and night, impair the rebuilding of our bones and make us more prone to osteoporosis. Stress is the enemy of the bones. In postmenopausal women, the effect of stress worsens due to female hormone imbalances.
Food Intolerance testing is a blood test or saliva test that can be used to determine a food hypersensitivity or intolerance to a certain food.
- A hypersensitivity or intolerance can cause inflammation and chronic activation of the immune system resulting in bone loss. Inflammatory bone loss has no symptoms but there can be other symptoms associate with a food intolerance.
- Common symptoms of a food intolerance:
- Brain Fog, Insomnia, Sleepiness After Eating
- Recurrent Sinusitis or Nasal Congestion
- Gastrointestinal Bloating, Gas, Pain, Constipation, Diarrhea
- Skin Rashes
- Fatigue or Hyperactivity
- Muscular Skeletal and/or Joint Pain
- Binge Eating or Excessive Hunger