THE BONES METHOD™
I believe in taking a holistic BONES approach to building strong, healthy bones. The BONES Method™ provides comprehensive evaluation and counseling based on the following 5 specific areas of bone health.
Balanced nutrition is essential for bone health
- Not only is adequate calcium necessary, but also foods high in other minerals such magnesium and boron, and vitamins such as vitamin K and D.
- Eating a balanced acid-alkaline diet can help to reduce bone loss.
- A high acid promoting diet can cause calcium to be leeched from your bones and excreted in the urine.
- You can review the Alkaline-Acid food chart to learn about what foods are more acidic and what foods are more alkaline once metabolized.
- It is also important to avoid other foods that promote calcium excretion such as sugar, salt, alcohol and soft drinks.
Optimize digestion to maximize nutrient absorption
- Digestion is a critical component of bone health. You need to be able to adequately digest your food so that you can absorb the nutrients necessary to maintain and improve bone health.
- It is important to address all underlying digestive issues that may be contributing to impaired digestion, mal-absorption and inadequate utilization of nutrients required for building and maintaining healthy bones.
Nurture the soul to reduce stress and promote sleep
- Stress increases 2 hormones called cortisol and adrenaline which can cause bone loss and inhibit bone formation.
- Adequate sleep is necessary for the body to rebuild and repair itself.
- Good bone health requires exploring ways to reduce stress and finding ways to improve sleep quality.
Exercise to strengthen bones and muscles
- Weight bearing and strength training exercises stress bones and stimulates new bone formation.
- Strengthening the supporting muscles of the spine and hip enhance stability and support of those bones.
- Balance exercises are critical for preventing falls and reducing the risk of fractures.
- Posture exercises help to prevent the common postural changes that can occur as a person ages and help to enhance proper body alignment.
Supplements when needed for additional bone building support
- Bones need a constant supply of many vitamins and minerals, and deficiency of any one nutrient can adversely affect bone health.
- Addressing and correcting individual nutrient deficiencies through appropriate supplementation will strengthen your bones and your body.
My BONES Method™ is a targeted and individualized approach that will help you achieve stronger bones and overall better health!
Vitamin K2, a little known nutrient just until a few years ago, has emerged as having a critical role in how the body uses calcium. It is tasked in moving and keeping calcium in the bones and out of places where it shouldn’t be, such as arteries, joints, the kidney and bladder where it can contributed to calcification, heel spurs, bone spurs and kidney and bladder stones.