THE BONES METHOD™
I believe in taking a holistic BONES approach to building strong, healthy bones. The BONES Method™ provides comprehensive evaluation and counseling based on the following 5 specific areas of bone health.
Balanced nutrition is essential for bone health
- Not only is adequate calcium necessary, but also foods high in other minerals such magnesium and boron, and vitamins such as vitamin K and D.
- Eating a balanced acid-alkaline diet can help to reduce bone loss.
- A high acid promoting diet can cause calcium to be leeched from your bones and excreted in the urine.
- You can review the Alkaline-Acid food chart to learn about what foods are more acidic and what foods are more alkaline once metabolized.
- It is also important to avoid other foods that promote calcium excretion such as sugar, salt, alcohol and soft drinks.
Optimize digestion to maximize nutrient absorption
- Digestion is a critical component of bone health. You need to be able to adequately digest your food so that you can absorb the nutrients necessary to maintain and improve bone health.
- It is important to address all underlying digestive issues that may be contributing to impaired digestion, mal-absorption and inadequate utilization of nutrients required for building and maintaining healthy bones.
Nurture the soul to reduce stress and promote sleep
- Stress increases 2 hormones called cortisol and adrenaline which can cause bone loss and inhibit bone formation.
- Adequate sleep is necessary for the body to rebuild and repair itself.
- Good bone health requires exploring ways to reduce stress and finding ways to improve sleep quality.
Exercise to strengthen bones and muscles
- Weight bearing and strength training exercises stress bones and stimulates new bone formation.
- Strengthening the supporting muscles of the spine and hip enhance stability and support of those bones.
- Balance exercises are critical for preventing falls and reducing the risk of fractures.
- Posture exercises help to prevent the common postural changes that can occur as a person ages and help to enhance proper body alignment.
Supplements when needed for additional bone building support
- Bones need a constant supply of many vitamins and minerals, and deficiency of any one nutrient can adversely affect bone health.
- Addressing and correcting individual nutrient deficiencies through appropriate supplementation will strengthen your bones and your body.
My BONES Method™ is a targeted and individualized approach that will help you achieve stronger bones and overall better health!
Get the FREE Guide on
8 Lifestyle Changes for Better Bone Health
by Susan Brady
Join a community of women dedicated to aging vibrantly and receive a newsletter rich in information on how to build strong healthy bones for life.