Balanced nutrition is essential for bone health
- Not only is adequate calcium necessary, but also foods high in other minerals such magnesium and boron, and vitamins such as vitamin K and D.
- Eating a balanced acid-alkaline diet can help to reduce bone loss.
- A high acid promoting diet can cause calcium to be leeched from your bones and excreted in the urine.
- You can review the Alkaline-Acid food chart to learn about what foods are more acidic and what foods are more alkaline once metabolized.
- It is also important to avoid other foods that promote calcium excretion such as sugar, salt, alcohol and soft drinks.
Optimize digestion to maximize nutrient absorption
- Digestion is a critical component of bone health. You need to be able to adequately digest your food so that you can absorb the nutrients necessary to maintain and improve bone health.
- It is important to address all underlying digestive issues that may be contributing to impaired digestion, mal-absorption and inadequate utilization of nutrients required for building and maintaining healthy bones.
Nurture the soul to reduce stress and promote sleep
- Stress increases 2 hormones called cortisol and adrenaline which can cause bone loss and inhibit bone formation.
- Adequate sleep is necessary for the body to rebuild and repair itself.
- Good bone health requires exploring ways to reduce stress and finding ways to improve sleep quality.
Exercise to strengthen bones and muscles
- Weight bearing and strength training exercises stress bones and stimulates new bone formation.
- Strengthening the supporting muscles of the spine and hip enhance stability and support of those bones.
- Balance exercises are critical for preventing falls and reducing the risk of fractures.
- Posture exercises help to prevent the common postural changes that can occur as a person ages and help to enhance proper body alignment.
Supplements when needed for additional bone building support
- Bones need a constant supply of many vitamins and minerals, and deficiency of any one nutrient can adversely affect bone health.
- Addressing and correcting individual nutrient deficiencies through appropriate supplementation will strengthen your bones and your body.
My BONES Method™ is a targeted and individualized approach that will help you achieve stronger bones and overall better health!
Although the BONES Method is a comprehensive approach to strengthening your bones, one piece of the puzzle that is frequently overlooked when it comes to building bone strength is the HEALTH OF YOUR GUT!
Your gut health (along with digestion and nutrient absorption) is ESSENTIAL to the strength of your bones.
Are Your Bones Holding Your Gut Hostage?
Guess who no longer has osteoporosis in her spine?? DEXA says now -2.4 osteopenia where was -3.2 before. HUGE improvement. No medication, just exercise and nutrition. I still have a ways to go with my hips and femoral neck, but this is really great news for me! ~D.S.
While providing rehabilitation after my two hip surgeries, Susan also educated me in the importance of proper nutrition for strengthening my bones and improving my bone density. She encouraged me to eat an alkaline-based diet and to eliminate the junk food I was so fond of. Not only did I heal quickly, but also the doctors were amazed by the rapid bone growth as noted on my x-rays. I continue to include chia and pumpkin seeds in my diet, as well as other foods that are alkaline based. I honestly have Susan to thank for this complete transformation in my diet which has allowed me to go back to wearing heels which I thought I would never be able to do again. Nutrition matters. I am a perfect example of good bones from good food!” ~R.G.
Proper Exercise and Nutrition
“Susan Brady is very knowledgeable about osteoporosis. In 2016, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my lower back. Through proper exercise and nutrition, Susan was able to guide me towards a regimen that would in turn almost reverse my symptoms. Because of her method, I have been able to curb my bone loss, gain strength, and improve my overall health. I feel that I am on the road to a happier, healthier lifestyle thanks to Susan.”~ B.L.
Initially, I went to Susan Brady because my family doctor told me to take a holiday from the prescription bone density medicine that I had been taking it for many years. I avoid dairy since I am lactose intolerant and sensitive to dairy protein. I was confident that Susan could recommend a superior quality calcium, balanced with other supplements that would help provide the nutrients I needed for bone health. In addition to recommendations for supplements, she has evaluated my diet and my exercise regimen, making suggestions as needed. With guidance from Susan I have been able to maintain bone health without additional bone density medicine for several years now. ~K.N.
Alkaline Based Diet
While providing rehabilitation after my two hip surgeries, Susan also educated me in the importance of proper nutrition for strengthening my bones and improving my bone density. She encouraged me to eat an alkaline-based diet and to eliminate the junk food I was so fond of. Not only did I heal quickly, but also the doctors were amazed by the rapid bone growth as noted on my x-rays. I continue to include chia and pumpkin seeds in my diet, as well as other foods that are alkaline based. I honestly have Susan to thank for this complete transformation in my diet which has allowed me to go back to wearing heels which I thought I would never be able to do again. Nutrition matters — I am a perfect example of good bones from good food! ~R.G.
After being diagnosed with osteoporosis, I began sifting through all the information available on nutrition and osteoporosis, but it was confusing and time consuming. Even though I thought my diet was good, Susan gave me advice on how to make it even better! I benefited very much from Susan’s nutritional advice and guidance for safe and effective exercises. My recent bone scan showed improvements in both my hip and my spine, so I am encouraged that all the changes that I have made are working! ~ M.R.
20-minute FREE consult
If you want to make sure my approach to healthy bones and vibrant aging is right for you, request a complimentary 20-minute phone consult.
Is Walking Enough to Build Bones? Consider adding a Weighted Vest.
Check out the weighted vests on their website: Weighted Vests.
At checkout, enter the discount code "Brady" and you will receive $10 off the vest of your choice along with FREE shipping.
Check out our Facebook and YouTube channels for more information!
Recent Blog Posts
Summer is upon us and I am a big proponent of getting outside and enjoying the summer sunshine. Spending time in the sun can help to boost our mood, encourage activity, help set our circadian rhythm, and support vitamin D production. All things we need to keep our...
You are probably familiar with the phrase “you are what you eat.” This is pretty accurate, but what is even more accurate is “you are what you eat, digest, absorb and metabolize.” But how do you know if the nutrients from the food you eat are getting into your...
Osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease share many common risk factors such as diabetes, smoking, alcohol abuse, sedentary lifestyle, and in postmenopausal women, a decline in estrogen. However, over the last several years, emerging research has shown a growing link...
By now you know that your gut houses trillions of microorganisms. Most of these microorganisms are beneficial to our health. They aid in digestion, vitamin production, regulation of the immune system and inflammation, regulation of bone metabolism, and production of...